Slips, Trips and Falls

If you have suffered an accident as a result of a slip, trip or fall on the Public Highway within the last 3 years and suffered personal injury you could be entitled to make a claim for injuries or losses resulting from that accident through our 'No Win, No Fee' policy.

Duty of Care, Breach of Duty & Causation

Duty of Care

The maintenance and upkeep of the most Public Highways are the responsibility of the local council. The local council has a duty of care to operate a safe system of inspect, maintenance and repair for the roads and pavements within their area / borough.

Breach of Duty

Most claims against a local council will be brought under the Highway Act 1980.

To establish breach of duty against the local authority you must be able to prove that the local authority failed to operate a safe system of inspection, maintenance and repair for the roads and pavements within their area / borough. 

This is commonly proved by ascertaining a date that the defect has been present for some time and the local authority has failed to repair the defect.

If a local authority does not take reasonable steps to inspect, maintain and repair the roads or pavement and injury occurs through these failings then it is likely that the local authority has breached their statutory duty and they have been negligent.


If a local authority has breached their duty of care and you suffer an injury as a result, you can claim compensation and recover any other reasonably incurred accident related losses.

Common Examples of Public Liability Accident:

  • Kicking and tripping on broken pavement flags
  • Falling on rocking pavements flags
  • Tripping on defective grids and utility covers
  • Accident caused by defective council maintained car parks
  • Accident caused by inadequate street lighting

Public Liability Insurance

Local Authorities have Public Liability Insurance in place which will cover the cost of a claim made against them.

Feeling Guilty About Claiming?

Do not feel guilty about claiming.  Trips on street pavements and public rights of way are not something to be embarrassed about. Often a successful claim will lead to local authorities carrying out repairs, preventing further injuries to others.


Enquire / Start Your Claim

Simply complete the form below 24/7/365 and we will get in touch with you to discuss your requirements. Alternatively, please feel free to contact us directly instead.